Moderatoren: Peter, Kermit98

Marko19
Gastautor
Name: Marko
Vorname: Visacki
1984 GPz810 Restomod

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Greetings guys!
Well decided to share my view on the restomod project i finished last year.
Bild Bild

Bild Bild

Bild Bild

Bild Bild
Bild Bild
Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Marko19 am Mi 28. Apr 2021, 10:28, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Marko19
Gastautor
Re: 1984 GPz810 Restomod

Beitrag von Marko19 »

About 10 years ago, I bought myself a basket case of GPZ750A2. Some guys in Austria tore it down for painting, and never got it together.
Luckily, all the stuff was there, so i got it completed, and drove it for about 7-8 years hussle free.
I wasn't very keen of the orange wheels and swingarm but as i were a student (read cashless), i stopped noticing it.
As years went by, i got some modern stuff (zx9r) and the GPZ stood forgotten in friends garage for few years, until the worm inside of me started yelling that I should get it back on the road but in some more modern way of form, and correcting all the bits and pieces i always wanted but never did.
The lack of power compared to the modern things wasn't the main problem, but I was really tired of that 80s railroad train type of handling.
Also decided that I'm not gonna cut anything off the frame or make irreversible changes, cause maybe one day I'll turn it back into original shape.
This is how it looked in the first reincarnation in my student years:
Bild

Bild

Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

I needed a rockstone that will move the project from just an idea, and the ad on ebay for brand new set of Wiseco 810 in half of the regular price was it.
Bought it, and while i waited it to arrive from Canada, i bought a of VFR750 front end, cause I was determined to modernize the handling and the tire availability range.
The front end came refurbished with new seals and sinther brake pads.
Also took a ZR7 rear shock and placed it on.
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
s-l1603.jpg
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

The engine was the smallest problem, since everything on a bike was working in original, and I considered it a waste to bore my original 66mm liners to the 69mm so i found some bad liners and used them instead and saved my original ones including pistons,rings, etc.
Also even though i refurbished once already dreadfully constructed starter clutch, it was dying again on me, so thankfully, i found about a zr7 swap, and went for it too. It's a completely different design of starter clutch that is not prone to failing and fits straits in Z650/Z750/GPz750 Engine cause Zr7 engine is based on it.
Front end went easily on, it was a shame i had to dump original dials cause the new ones don't have speedo cable connector so i went with some Koso RX2N replica.
To leave it a bit of period true, i popped on some dual adjusting handlebars from 1986 VF1000R.

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Marko19 am Mi 28. Apr 2021, 10:42, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

For the rear I wanted to leave original aluminium swingarm but use 17 wheel also (CBR600F2/F3), and a change from 630 to 530 chain.
Replaced Unitrak linkeage bushings, and some machining on the hub had to be done, and new spacers + adding some spacers under the front sprocket (Which is offset by 7mm in original), to get everything where it should be.

Bild

Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

I installed braided brake lines both front and back, and changed all bulbs to LED.
Also got that awful rear mudguard welded/repaired/painted.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Got engine all together, new valve seals, zr7 starter clutch, new clutch plates and springs, replaced carb boots, fuel lines, refurbished engine paint (S100 Engine Refresher), polished some things, and mounted an Moriwaki cover as a cherry on the cake :mrgreen:

Bild

Bild

Then came the back end, replaced all connectors, tail light cover, mounted new blinkers, Licence plate holder etc.
Rear brake is also from a CBR Honda, with custom made supporting arm.

Bild

Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Something had to be done with that front triple yoke, including the Honda logo on it, so i decided to cover it with a carbon cover and a custom made GPZ Decal.

Bild

Bild

Also got seat refurbished into something more Corbin-Like
Bild

Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

The exhaust on the motorcycle is period original L&W 4-1 made specificaly for this model. It also allows you to reach oil filter without removing it.
Before i gave the petrol tank to the painter, i wanted to make sure that it's solid, rustfree, cause I'm not so keen in doing a repaint on some other tank in the future soon, especially since it's candy pearl colour, and we are painting the stripes, not using sticker decals.
In the last 10 years, i haven't done any cleaning to it, i knew it was full of crap and rust, but somehow regular fuel filter managed to keep the carbs alright.
Found a guy who owns custom bike shop in Belgrade, which made a tool which sprays ceramic particles in all directions inside of the tank, and when it removes all the rust, he uses epoxy based on aluminium to seal it. Results: see for yourself before/after.
Bild

Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Clearcoated. Next step - polishing. OFC there will be Chromed Kawasaki Decal on the tank.
Bild Bild Bild

Bild Bild Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Marko19 am Mi 28. Apr 2021, 10:30, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

While waiting for the new tires to be mounted on the rims, decided to polish footpegs which makes rear end also complete.

Bild

Polished multiple layers of clearcoat in order to get flat surface where the stripes were made. Shines like a mirror :mrgreen:

Bild Bild Bild Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Chainguard problem solved with little modification of KTM one, which I bought from Aliexpress. Japanese flag decal is there to cover original Kick Twenty Minutes logo.
Also mounted crystal clear headlight from Ebay.

Bild Bild

Front mudguard done. It is a real carbon,custom made, not those cheap carbon imitation stickers. Made to be as close to wheel as possible, not to interrupt the lines of the bike.

Bild Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Marko19 am Mi 28. Apr 2021, 10:37, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

After a bit of road testing, i figured this VFR fork is compressing too much (New springs, heavy oil, it's just Honda's thing to be soft and cozy), leaving very little space between mudguard and cowlings on hard brakings, so i decided to get myself another 35mm of travel.
Made on CNC ofc.
Material is 7075 aluminium alloy, one of strongest in existence, usually used on aircraft wings, mountain climbing hooks, spaceshuttle nozzles etc, so no worries about strength there :)

Bild Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Bike is completed, ready for MOT (May 2020). :beer

Bild Bild Bild Bild

Bild Bild Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Went easily through MOT. Beautiful to ride, like a modern machine.

Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild
Few photos ...
Bild Bild Bild Bild

Bild Bild Bild Bild

Bild Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Marko19 am Mi 28. Apr 2021, 10:37, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Latest update (April 2021)

Delkevic exhaust system is on!
Sounds sharp as some racing bike.
Great workmanship, straight on installation.

Bild
zettosaurus
Gastautor
Name: Völker
Vorname: Dirk

Beitrag von zettosaurus »

This bike is amazing :o
Putzen ist verschwendete Lebenszeit
FrankS
Gastautor
Name: Stoy
Vorname: Frank

Beitrag von FrankS »

Man,

i´m flashed, a big number better then the Restos i did.
And the Oscar goes to Marko19.

Great respect,

The Spirit
Peter
Vorstand
Name: Krauss
Vorname: Peter
1984 GPz810 Restomod

Beitrag von Peter »

Great job - Congratulations !

How long it take you from the begining to get the bike ready ?
Grüße - Peter
Bild
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

About 1 year. It could be done a lot faster but i was waiting few months to get paintjob done properly, waiting for parts from Ebay etc.
I have a regular job so this was just a sort of weekend relax. :mrgreen:
There was a lot of CNC custom stuff to be made, and also make it look period correct so that took a lot of time also.
I knew bike really well (11 years in my ownership), and I did all the research before i got into restomod so I didn't wander around much, I exactly knew what kind of upgrades can be done to these machines.
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

Few photos from today with Delkevic

Bild Bild Bild Bild Bild
Peter
Vorstand
Name: Krauss
Vorname: Peter
1984 GPz810 with Delkevic

Beitrag von Peter »

Great - a bikers work is never done ;) ;)

How about the quality of the Delkevic pipes ?
Grüße - Peter
Bild
Martin
Gastautor
Name: Dieter
Vorname: Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi Mark,
This is exactly how the GPZ should look like. Really a nice bike! I have a similar project but struggling with the carbs. Do you have a recommendation for size of the jets? My Setup is 810ccm with standard airbox and K&N filter inside + Motad exhaust.

Best regards

Martin
Marko19
Gastautor

Beitrag von Marko19 »

@Peter
Delkevic is really top quality product, beautiful hand welding no complains there. You get everything in the set, brackets, central stand stopper, copper, springs, even tool for attaching springs! Installation is straight on, no modifications needed.
Silencer is removable with only one screw.
Only downside for me is that even with silencer it is a bit too loud and sharp. True Mad Max sound, so if you're after quiet and more factory OEM exhaust sound Delkevic is NOT for you.

@Martin
Before Delkevic I had L&W 4-1 exhaust for years. Bike was stock 738cm3, Mikuni BS34 carbs and stock airbox. Run great without changing jets. Main #110 and Pilot #37.5
After going to 810cm3 i replaced 110# stock jets with 120# but I'm not sure it really needed it. Pilot's remained 37.5. I raised the needle one step cause it was a bit lean at @3000rpm even before but became much more apparent with 810cm3. So basically i think no major changes in jets is required (I drove it with #110 also and didn't notice anything bad).
My bike never liked pilot mixture screw's set to rich. Mine are at about 1 3/4 opened from fully turned it.
Figured out most of the problems people have with these Kawa's are not wrong jet sizes, but rather vacuum leaks somewhere, cracked rubber manifolds etc causing bike to run poorly which most of us try to solve with changing jets.

Can you tell me what kind of carb problems you do have?
Martin
Gastautor
Name: Dieter
Vorname: Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Hallo Mark
My bike has a bad throttle response between 2000-5000rpm. It appears since i have installed the 810ccm Pistons and the K&N filter. Needles are in standard position.

Greatings

Martin
Antworten

Zurück zu „Bikes & Auf- & Umbauten Z's & Restaurationen“